Into the Mangrove Swamp

Whilst koko is feeding the pei mobile, cheche bought us some snacks... *sniff! sniff!* Ooh! Beef sausage with cheese... one of my favorite sausages.

Please excuse my slobbering on the car... the sausage is yummilicious.

Finally we arrived at the makeshift jetty to board our boat...

... to the mangrove swamp located downstream from the river.

I love riding on a boat along the river, ...

... coz I get to experience all kinds of sight and smell.

With the warm sunlight on my back, we travel downstream as the gentle evening breeze blow across my face...

... and the whispering wind sway the trees along the riverbank.

However, the tranquility is suddenly broken by a sharp screeching sound from up above the trees.

Can you see a furious monkey on top the tree?

The reason the monkey is making such a loud shrill cry...

... is because the monkey is trying to warn a monitor lizard from encroaching into the monkey's territory. Can you spot the huge lizard in the water among the mangrove roots?

The mangrove swamp is full of dangerous creatures...

... and one has to be careful when entering the water way.

Oops! A fallen tree... better move to the side to avoid those jutting branches.

OMD! What is that thingy above my head?

It's a poisonous mangrove snake! Also known as cat snake... it preys on lizards, birds and rodents along the river with its toxic venom.

Phew! Luckily the snake did not fall on my wrinkly head. It's safer now that we are out in the open again.

Hey! I see something approaching ahead of us.

It's a couple canoeing along the river. That looks like fun... wish I could go on a canoe one day.

Listening to the hoomans talking...

... about a pair of courting hornbills above the tree, and how once they are together, the hornbills are paired for life.

The boatman is describing to my friend from France how he once caught a giant catfish in this river.

But I don't see no catfish in the water though...

... all I see is my cheche in front of me...

... whom I love very much *licks! licks!*.

Sorry for the wet smooches... but unlike the snake, my venom is filled with unconditional love.

17 comments:

Lord said...

Hero. You are a very adventurous Shar Pei. My Char Siew is jealous. You are from the country - Malysia right? It seems like you're from a place that I would like to visit.

I live in the Philippines - but in the City - not much adventures.

Looking forward to more adventures from you and your family.

Unknown said...

Ooh - aah!

What an adventure you had! Looks like real fun....the snake, scary!!!!! Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that creature!

Suka said...

hey Hero,

Beef sausage with cheese?! *drool......

What an exciting adventure! I would love to go on a boat ride like that. I bet that monkey would be fun to hang with! BOL! Glad the snake was not interested in your wrinkly head! :->

The pictures are gorgeous! It looks like you had a great time.

The photo of your kissing cheche is precious! You are such a sweet pup!

Suka

verobirdie said...

Thank you Hero for this trip. The cat snake would have made me very, very nervous! Be sure I would have come to you for protection and a hug!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh wow, you sure do have an interesting ride on that river. So much to see - but be careful of those dangerous critters there. We bet Cheche loves your wet smooches as much as you love her.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

sprinkles said...

Once I saw that snake, I would've freaked out and insisted we turn out.

georgia little pea said...

Hero, i want to live your adventurous life! my walks look so boring by comparison. why are you not afraid of being in a boat? don't you EVER get sick or fall down when the boat bounces up and down?

i DID see the monkey and lizard. good thing the snake didn't fall on you. Eeeek!

you're such a lovey-dovey soppy dog Hero *snigger* xox

houndstooth said...

Now that's an adventure! I wish I could have gone with you, Hero!

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

There you go, having amazing adventures again, Hero. You know, Blog Mom and I were just - I mean just this past weekend - reading a novel that took place mostly in a mangrove swamp. The one in the book was in the Everglades in Florida. Thing is, before that we'd never heard of a mangrove swamp. Sounds pretty similar except that instead of monitor lizards there are alligators and crocodiles.

I don't think we'll be visiting either that one or yours any time soon. Thank you, once again, for sharing your adventures with us.

Thor and Jack said...

How adventure, Hero! You always have so much fun!

Thor and Jack

Kasha The Dainty Great Dane said...

Hello my furiend Hero,

I'm so happy to see you going on adventures again...I miss hearing about all the fun you get to have. Although I don't know about that boat ride...I don't think I would like going under that tree with that poisonous snake up there. I'm glad you made it through safely.

AARF Kasha the Dainty Great Dane

northernbliss said...

Good thing that snake doesn't like Hero meat!!! You are very brave.
I like that you have your PFD on - you never know when you could fall overboard. Stay Safe.
Love the guided tour of the mangroves - thanks!!

the booker man said...

hero!

you are so brave! i would have fainted if i saw that hooge poisonous snake over my head! EEEEK!
but the rest of your boat cruise looked way mega funsies, and those mangroves are pretty!

*woof*
the booker man

pee s -- a beef sausage on a stick with cheese?! where can i get one of those!! teehee.

Jed and Abby in MerryLand said...

Aieee! Poisonous snakes over your head! This is why we prefer to take armchair tours. Thanks for providing such interesting ones. At least you got some good noms and some quality time with the pawrents out of it. Guess it was worth the risk.

Jed & Abby

Fantabulous May said...

I'm curious. U have been travelling around but being in Malaysia I'm amazed u didn't get discriminated by the Malays

From http://amayzing.me

MadameMoiselle said...

Hi Hero !!!

Another amazing story from you again.. What amaze us most is " how did koko arrange for you to be every where" ..

I really envy that you get to go to so many places what we puppies are not supposed to go !!

Miss you lots
Zelle

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Awesome! Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
--JB